A professional tooth whitening with your dentist is a good way of whitening stubborn, stained teeth that are not responsive in whitening from regular tooth brushing, care, and maintenance.
Benefits of Tooth Whitening
Having your dentist professionally whiten your teeth can reverse staining and yellowing due to:
- Certain foods and drinks – Regular consumption of dark-colored foods like red sauces and blackberries and drinks like coffee and tea can cause staining on teeth over time.
- Tobacco use – Frequent tobacco users often find that their teeth start to yellow. This is due to the tar and nicotine found in tobacco.
- Natural staining – As you age, the enamel, or outer layer of your teeth, begins to wear down; this exposes the yellowish dentin layer underneath.
- Medications – Side effects of certain medications as well as cancer treatments include the yellowing or discoloration of teeth.
Types of Tooth Whitening Treatments
There are many types of tooth whitening treatments available for patients interested in restoring the natural brightness of their smile, from the dentist’s office to within their own bedroom. Some of these whitening treatments include:
- Teeth whitening solutions – Many teeth whitening treatments include a bleaching solution made of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These solutions are applied to your teeth by your dentist, and left for a few minutes to take effect. Then, the solution is rinsed off, leaving behind a new whitened appearance on your teeth.Some dentists offer take-home whitening trays for patients to use from the comforts of home.
- Laser whitening – Sometimes, teeth whitening solutions are not as effective as patients would like; there may be some stains that are not as easily responsive as others to bleaching treatments. One solution for this is using a special light or laser to maximize the effectiveness of a tooth whitening, bleaching solution.